A man in his 30s has been arrested after a man was left with life-threatening injuries after being stabbed in Edmonton, north London this morning.
The attack is the fifth in the same part of London where four other people were knifed in random attacks over the weekend.
The Metropolitan Police have said they “retain an open mind” over whether the latest knife attack is linked to the others, but the suspect in all five fits the same description.
Sky News reporter Inzamam Rashid, at the scene, said one of the force’s detectives has told him they are “highly likely linked”.
The force is hunting a skinny black man who is approximately 1.9m/6ft 3in tall and wearing dark clothes, including a hoodie.
Scotland Yard believes the man may have mental health issues and was acting alone in the attacks, which are not thought to be terror-related.
Officers were called to reports of a man stabbed in Aberdeen Road, N18, around 5am this morning and attended with the London Ambulance Service.
There they found a man, believed to be in his 30s, suffering a stab injury.
The victim is reported to have been walking with a companion when he was attacked in Fairfield Road and made his way to nearby Aberdeen Road, where he was found by police.
The other person was not hurt.
Police, who have not made any arrests, cordoned off several local streets while a black jacket, metallic blanket and medical equipment were seen at the scene in Aberdeen Road.
The victim has been taken to a hospital in east London where his condition is being treated as life-threatening.
Aberdeen Road is where a 45-year-old woman, who was left in a critical condition in hospital, was stabbed in the back in at about 7pm on Saturday as the series of attacks, which police have said are linked, began.
A male victim was stabbed four hours later in Park Avenue. He was taken to hospital but his condition was not life-threatening and he has since been discharged.
The third attack, on a 23-year-old man at Seven Sisters underground station, came in the early hours of Sunday morning. He is in a critical but stable condition in hospital.
A 29-year-old man was left with life-threatening injuries after the fourth attack, in Brettenham Road, N18 around six hours later.
Mike Kalongi, 28, who lives near the scene of the stabbing, said: “It’s getting a bit close… “I usually go to the gym at night, but over the last few days I decided not to.
“I’m going shopping. I usually have my headphones on but I want to stay aware and try not to be a victim. It’s scary. It’s really scary.”
Kelvin Ojo, 36, said: “It’s scary now, this is not normal. It’s been peaceful for a while until all this drama started coming up. Now I’m starting thinking about moving from this area, I’m not liking it.”
Tarek Elmadkhoun, 32, said: “It happened just outside my door. My wife heard some talking at 5am. She’s a bit worried. I just moved here one week ago.”
Urging the public to stay vigilant, Detective Superintendent Luke Marks, of the North Area Command Unit, said: “I am aware that events from the weekend have caused a huge amount of worry and concern among the community, and that this incident will cause further alarm.
“While at this stage the incident has not yet been formally linked, the location and manner of this attack will be of concern to the public.
Two men previously arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm (GBH) both remain in custody and detectives have until later on Tuesday to interview them.