A 27-year-old man has been charged with the murders of three elderly men in Exeter, police say.

Alexander Lewis-Ranwell will appear at Exeter Magistrates’ Court on Saturday accused of killing 80-year-old Anthony Payne and twins Dick and Roger Carter, who were 84.

He also faces two charges of causing grievous bodily harm with intent.

Devon and Cornwall Police said the deaths had been linked because of the “level of violence used”.

Mr Payne’s body was discovered by the ambulance service at his terraced house in Exeter on Monday afternoon.

Bonhay Road, Exeter
Image: Police attended Mr Payne’s property after his body was discovered

The bodies of the Carters were found in their home – about a mile away – the following day.

There are not thought to be any links between the Carter brothers and Mr Payne.

More from Devon

Police said a 27-year-old man had been arrested on Tuesday on suspicion of murdering the three men.

The owners say Dick Carter would visit the shop every day and have a chat
Image: Dick Carter would visit his local shop every morning, its owners said

CCTV images obtained by Sky News showed Dick Carter at his local shop days before he died.

The shop’s owners said he would go in every day at around 9am to get a newspaper and chat with the staff.

Meanwhile, Mr Payne’s brother-in-law spoke of his shock following his death.

Keith Baker pays tribute to his best friend Tony Payne, one of three elderly men murdered in Exeter this week.
Exeter victim was a ‘nice, ordinary old man’

Ronnie Teague, 73, said: “He used to be an outgoing chap and used to go to the pub a lot. He would play darts and cards and was friendly with everyone but he did become a bit more reclusive in latter years.

“He was not the sort of person to make enemies. You would never have thought he would go this way. He was just a normal and friendly bloke.”

Superintendent Matt Lawler said: “All of our thoughts remain with the family and friends of the victims.

“You’ll continue to see officers on foot patrol, speaking to residents, and conducting investigative work at the two addresses in the city over the coming days.”

Read the full story here